With Halloween just around the corner, here are a few tips from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics to maintain a healthy and happy holiday.
- Balance candy with healthier options by allowing them to fill up on the healthier options first.
- Practice portion control by serving a small portion of candy.
- Serve the portioned amount of candy instead of leaving the candy out to regulate the amount of candy consumed.
- Get up & moving to ensure the party is about a balance of activities, including games and physical activities. Karen Ansel, MS, RDN, CDN, spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests playing “Monster Tag” with one child as the monster and the other as the zombie once tagged.
- Share healthier treats. The Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics makes the following suggestions:
- Whole-grain cheddar flavored crackers
- Fruit snacks made with 100-percent fruit with added vitamin C
- Fruit leathers made with 100-percent fruit
- Sugar-free gum
- Animal-shaped graham crackers made without trans fat
- Mini rice cereal treat bars
- Cereal bars made with real fruit
- Individual fruit cups
- Mini 100-percent fruit juice boxes
- Low-fat pudding cups
- Baked, unsalted bags of pretzels
- Make healthier treats. Sarah Krieger, MPH, RDN, spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, suggests the following healthy, Halloween-themed snacks:
- Smoothies made with low-fat vanilla yogurt, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, banana and ice
- Apple slices with a fruit dip made with yogurt mixed with canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
- Warm apple cider with cinnamon sticks
- Get creative with healthier treats. Consider the following fun recipes from HelloFresh:
- Apple Monsters
- Boooo-nana Ghosts
- Watermelon Head
- Jack O’Apples
- Jack O’Oranges
- Creepy Crawly Toasts
- Apple Chips
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Quiche
To see the recipes and directions for the HelloFresh Halloween recipes, including the Jack O’Oranges in the picture, click here. For additional tips and advice, visit www.eatright.org.
Have a happy and healthy Halloween, everyone!
Frequently Asked Questions
View all references
Schedule an appointment
See a Registered Dietitian with Nourish
- Covered by insurance
- Virtual sessions
- Personalized care